At Lodge Automotive, we do love Tik Tok but one member’s tip for clearing an icy windscreen has us a little concerned. Andrew Huston has shared his so-called ‘genius’ way of clearing an icy windscreen in a matter of seconds using a sandwich bag full of boiling water. In the brief video he can be seen dragging the bag over his windscreen to clear the ice quickly but this could actually cause your windscreen to crack! It has clocked up a whopping 23 million views with more than 3 million likes so far – eeek!
At Lodge Automotive, we’ve put together some guidance for clearing an icy windscreen SAFELY:
- If you have some extra pennies, you could purchase a windscreen cover and pop it on your car overnight.
- If you do wake up to an icy car, try to allow yourself 10-15 minutes to clear the windscreen using a scraper and some De-Icer.
- DO NOT use boiling water on the windscreen to speed up the process as this will most likely cause your windscreen to crack.
- When driving, use your heater to prevent the inside of the windscreen from misting up rather than use a sponge or cloth to wipe it. Although wiping the inside of your windscreen will be a quick solution to your misting problem, it will most likely leave marks which could make it harder to see.
- Lastly, don’t drive away until your windscreen, side windows and rear window is clear as it is dangerous and against the law.